Thursday, July 30, 2009

Mini Motoring Hearts for Meals on Wheels

Every Friday a saddle up for my regular route.
I deliver meals to the home bound folks in my general neighborhood for
Meals On Wheels.
I figured that since I have an insatiable appetite, that others may too.
Through all my various jobs (paying and not), and layoffs and stay-offs and such, this has been my constant; my "pre-commitment" each week, always.
It is easy. It is instantly satisfying. It is a need filled on both sides = Win/Win.

Even my little "Cream Puff" supports my volunteering heart!
Mini Cooper offers up their own Motoring Hearts support system. Challenging and encouraging their owners to step up and step out by allowing our own interests to support our very own neighborhood.
Mini motto: "Let's all be a bunch of Good-for-Somethings"!
They'll even hook you up with what might be the best for you and your community.
No judgments. No doubts.

"That Guy" who I share space with every day and every night has been known to assist my on my route once in a while; Seasonally it seems. And I have fired him from his post more than once. He suffers from a bad case of Road Rage and that does not help.
He jumps in the drivers seat when he can but, he now knows it's no joke. His ass will be bouncing off that black asphalt soon as I hear even one Honk!
One his own time, driving his own big white dinosaur, he still managed to get cut off, and run off the road, and stopping short so as not to flatten any one. He wasn't having much fun.
He had chased down another driver right from our own driveway, out of principle he said. But, I know it ways to give them a scare and a shout.
If he kept up with these bad manners, he might not live another day.

So, I lent him my car, sent him away and told him he would have fun, all the way.
He managed the day free of any slow speed chase, it was a breeze, and he was pleased.
He suffered not one extreme. Even his co-workers, and clients treated him differently.
They asked "how did he fit" ...and .."was it true"..?!
Yes, he exclaimed: "I do. I do."
He was scared to go out on his own any more, guessing it was just the car, maybe a fluke, nothing more. So I smacked his Bitch up with big bumper sticker to fair warn.
"Yes, there is a decent character driving the big ugly dinosaur"!
His soul has been saved. No Road Rage. No more.

My local Meals-on-Wheels route has been assigned to me almost from day one. I lucked out. I took it over for a friend who had been doing it long before me, who moved away. She threatened then as her treads skidded the asphalt ahead, that this way my responsibility to take over now; and so I did. It instilled itself into my very fiber straight out of the gate.
These are my people, my neighbors, and maybe one day, even me..my Self; we'll see.
So, no this is no chore, nor hassle. It is just a day in the week. It's easy.

Rusty's is one of the first stops I make.
He too is awaiting nothing but my arrival.
He so too sweet.
He knows the sound of my car, and he knows to sit patiently again and wait until after
the meals get passed through the front door to my main priority.
There is an entire family who share this house, but just two tend to get ignored.
A full body rub, a quick lick, and I am back on my way.

My very own motto: Never be Hungry...from doubt.
A generous heart is all we need to feed our Self, and everyone else.

Have a heart. Give a heart. Starve no more.
I'm sure you'll be good at too; no doubt.
It's easy, you'll see.
Just watch me.

20 comments:

Linda S. Socha said...

What a lovely comment. I felt as if I were riding along with you....in all paragraphs!
Linda

Manon said...

You have the most wonderful heart Teri! This must give you so much joy.
My daughter, Alex, feeds the homeless every Thursday and I can see how much it has changed her.

Tashai said...

Lovely post! ...and I don't use the word "lovely". :)

myan said...

you are amazing! you have such a kind heart.
it's inspiring! i should get off my butt & spread some kindness! :)

Shadow said...

this sounds wonderful and rewarding. for both parties involved. mmmm, now if only i could get my 'space sharer' to drop the road rage....

JennyMac said...

This is a great post. We do a lot of volunteering and the smallest commitments can make such a big impact overall. Bravo to you.

Storm1 said...

really cool that you volunteer!
feeding others is super rewarding too.

lovely hearts by the way.

Kellie Collis said...

You are amazing and so kind!

Unknown said...

I feel as if I just read the Dr Seuss version of humanitarianism and social consciousness :-) how amazing of you to do this every week. My old babysitter used to deliver them and we would ride with her. That is a story i should tell then maybe look into doing something like this myself. how very awesome!

Christina said...

thank goodness for good hearts, gracious people, and most of, examples to lead.
thank you again and again.

drollgirl said...

you are such a good person! this is amazing. my brother (who is a total fucking JERK, but that is beside the point) used to deliver for meals on wheels for YEARS. i should look into doing this. it is good to do stuff like this. REAL GOOD.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are so awesome, you volunteer! I'd love to, but I'm afraid I don't have the time...

And yeah, I would repaint my walls and reorganize furniture, but anything more than that is beyond me ;)

xoxo,
Micaela

Anonymous social worker said...

i fucking love your collage.
I love that you volunteer.
I loved your comment on my blog!
by the way I'm having a giveaway, and I hope you enter.

FEDERICA said...

Come visit me, there's a fun tag for you!

Viva Cindy said...

Hi Teri! Thanks for the great comment on my Coco + Kelley post. I can see by looking at your blog that we have some things in common! Volunteering is great isn't it?

Claire said...

Bless your kind heart!

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

Teri, this is wonderful that you volunteer for Meals on Wheels! You are an inspiration to all of us!

Eileen Mariane aka Marmsk said...

Teri, you make me smile and I wish you were delivering "Meals on Wheels" to me. I could have used you a few months back. Long story....
Keep up the good work. Eileen

Renee said...

Teri you are wonderful.

xoxo

Multifarious By Design said...

This just breaks my heart and makes me happy at the same time. I volunteer for a food bank in my neighborhood just a few hours a week and I love the mini motto: "let's all be a bunch of good for somethings." You go, girl. With all of our hearts together, good will happen.